Skip to main content

Visa Requirements

A superyacht Crew Visa subclass 408 is required for all non-Australia and non- New Zealander crew in advance of their arrival.

  • Visa can be requested for 3, 6, or 12 months
  • Visas required for longer than 3 months require sponsorship
  • Sponsorship must be applied for in prior to lodging individual visas
  • Visa extensions require sponsorship and can be lodged whilst crew are still in Australia or overseas
  • Visas are multiple entry
  • Visa period commences for first date of arrival into Australia

Australian Border Force

All vessels are required by law to give 96 hours’ notice of their intended arrival. Penalties apply for failure to do so.

Vessels need to provide:

  • Name of vessel
  • Country and port of registration
  • Intended first Australian port
  • Date and time of arrival
  • Last 6 ports of call
  • Full details of all crew and passengers onboard
  • Details of any illness or disease
  • Details of firearms and animals
  • Depending on the vessels intentions whilst they are in Australia will depend on whether they are to be imported and operate under a Control Permit. Control Permits can be granted for 12 months, however ABF will discuss this with each vessel at arrival clearance. See following link for more information.

Australian Department of Agriculture


All vessels are required by law to give 12-96 hours’ notice of their intended arrival. There are strict laws to protect Australian Environment and Citizens. Penalties may be imposed for failure to declare certain items.

You must report if you are carrying:

  • Restricted and performance enhancing drugs
  • Animal or plant material
  • Protected wildlife and products made from them food items i.e. meat products, dairy, eggs, grains etc.
  • High risk items must be declared and will be taken and destroyed.

Great Barrier Reef Permits

Regulations ensure use of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park is sustainable. Rules apply to all commercial and recreational vessels Check if permits are required well in advance. Some areas require specific permits for activities.

Please ensure you have access to:

  • Zoning maps, plans of management, waste disposal regulations
  • Anchorage locations
  • Compulsory pilotage regulations
  • Know regulations regarding reef wildlife

Pilotage Requirements

Coastal and Reef Pilotage for the Great Barrier Reef is compulsory for vessels with LOA 70 metres up. Port pilotage requirements are risked based and can vary dependent on the port area being accessed. Please refer to individual port procedures or contact your local port agent.


The owners or masters of yachts cruising Australian waters on control permits will be able to obtain Goods and Services Tax (GST)-free repairs or refits by presenting a copy of their control permits and vessel registration certificate to their repairers/refitters. Your agent can handle this.

Chartering in Australia

The Special Recreational Vessel Act 2019 was passed by the Australian Government to facilitate foreign vessel charter. The licence is valid for a period of 12 months. Additional licences can be applied for prior to the completion of each 12 month period. Please speak to our Superyacht Australia trained and endorsed vessel agents to acquire this. In Cairns they are Carter Marine Agencies, Australian Superyacht Services Qld, Major Yacht Services and Super Yacht Logistics. Australia has the largest domestic fleet of superyachts available for charter in Asia Pacific. The majority of these vessels are based in New South Wales and Queensland, however vessels will regularly conduct charters through Western Australia, Northern Territory, Victoria and Tasmania.

Superyacht Agents

  • Australian Super Yacht Services Queensland Pty Ltd – Pat McLoughlin
  • Carter Marine Agencies – Carrie Carter
  • Major Yacht Services – Geoff Majer



Download Guide