Tropical Reef ShipyardFar North Queensland's Largest Slipway - 3000 TonneRob Downing
Tropical Reef Shipyard (TRS) is a privately owned Australian company employing up to 150 personnel that has been in operation since 1977. Since the company’s inception we have established a very high reputation in the shipping industry due to our unrelenting attitude to providing a high quality service aimed at providing a timely and reliable turn around for our customers.
The majority of our business comes from Pacific Island nations. TRS has also refitted vessels from Papua New Guinea, Yap, Truk, the Marshall Islands, Guam, Pohnpei, Solomon Islands and from other countries worldwide, including Northern Europe, Japan and the U.S.A.
TRS has the largest slipway capacity north of Brisbane and we consider ourselves the leaders in the industry for the Western Pacific region. Our investment in the business, including its valuable staff and customers, coupled with our drive for constant improvement, allows us to provide a world-class ISO 9001/2000 accredited service.
In order to best achieve the requirements of our valued customers, TRS utilises the following resources and capabilities:
- 3000 tonne slipway capable of lifting vessels up to 100 metres in lengthand up to a maximum beam of 19.6 metres
- Deep water fitting-out berths
- Provision of a large undercover lay down area for stores and equipment
- Two (2) cranes of various capacities up to 100 tonnes
- Three (3) work boats for vessel movements
- All equipment on site for grit blasting and high pressure water blasting to 40,000PSI
- Full machine shop facilities, incorporating four (4) lathes with bed plates ranging from 3.5 to 8.3 metres, capable of all general machining requirements and straightening of shafts up to 7.8 metres. A milling machine, radial arm drill and shaper complete all other machining requirements
- Propeller bench for re-pitching, repairing and static balancing
- Two (2) forklifts of 10 tonne and 4 tonne capacity
- Three (3) elevated work platforms reaching up to 22 metres
- Large range of MIG, TIG, ARC & Oxy welding and cutting equipment
- Arc gouging and plasma cutting equipment
- Ultrasonic testing equipment
- Electrical workshop
Additionally, ship’s officers and crew have access to an onsite conference room and up to four offices fitted with telephone and ADSL Internet capability for their use.
We have a long history in both commercial and defence related work, supporting the refit needs of Perkins Shipping, Sea Swift, Consort Shipping, Western Tug & Barge, Svitzer, P&O Marine, ASP, the Royal Australian Navy and the American Army on projects with individual net values of up to $6 million.
Our experienced on-site team and sub contractors incorporate people with the entire range of specialist skills required for vessel repair. These include designers, draughtsman, engineers, marine refrigeration specialists, shipwrights, welders, electrical and mechanical fitters, grit blasters, aluminum fabricators, painters, instrument technicians and electronic technicians.
Our current onsite workforce comprises of 110 personnel covering the following trades:
- Administration and supervisors
- Abrasive blasters / spray painters
- Crane operators
- Trade assistants
- Stores purchasing and deliver/pick up drivers
As a regional employer, TRS actively recruits Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders as part of its employment program, with a significant proportion of its workforce being of Aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander descent.
We are proud of our loyal staff, many of whom have been with us since we opened our shipyard. Without them we would be just another shipyard – with them we have become a leader in our field.